Contributor: Chef James Hollister
For 6-8 small cupcakes:
100g Organic Wholegrain buckwheat flour
100g Carrot Pulp (or peeled, grated carrot)
50g Organic Dessicated Coconut
Pinch Pink Himalayan Salt
½ teaspoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
1 Whole Egg
1 Egg Yolk
1½ tablespoons Raw Organic Honey
50g Organic Coconut Sugar
2 tablespoons Organic Coconut Oil (fluid state)
3 tablespoons Organic Cream Cheese
1½ tablespoons Organic Carrot Juice
1 teaspoon Organic Icing Sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs and then add the sugar, honey and coconut oil and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir well until you have a uniform consistency.
- Then fold in the carrots, mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mix into a jug and pour the mix into 6-8 cupcake paper moulds, filling each to just about halfway
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a golden brown crust has formed on top of the cupcakes and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean/with no cakemix residue. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Frost when completely cooled.
- For the frosting, beat together the cream cheese and the carrot juice. When combined, add the icing sugar, a little bit at a time.
- Spoon the icing over the cupcakes and decorate with some grated organic 80% cocoa chocolate or your decorative topping of choice.
Bio: James works as a freelance chef, offering consultancy to foodservice outlets covering all aspects of kitchen management and direction, focusing particularly on waste reduction, local, sustainable and organic sourcing and nutrition, and dietary balance for menu creation. As the father of an 8-year old daughter, James is devoted to spreading awareness for the importance of eating organic, and creating healthy eating alternatives for families everywhere. Instagram @chefjameshollister